Keep 'em Safe While You Celebrate
Every 5th of July our local shelters are overrun by hundreds of dogs & cats who got spooked by Independence Day celebrating and find themselves lost and afraid. The good news is a few simple steps will keep them safe and ensure you can enjoy the festivities.
- Double check that your dogs tags & microchip information are up to date
- Hopefully, if they do make a break for it someone will reunite you by the time the last sparkler dies out
- There’s nothing more frustrating to rescuers than calling a phone number listed on a tag or microchip only to find it’s been disconnected
- Keep them inside
- The more inside the better. IF your pet is particularly afraid consider either crating them or closing them in a walk-in closet.
- Not only will an interior room help dampen the fireworks but will give them added security
- Thunder Shirts work wonders
- A thunder shirt is a snug fitting jacket which utilizes pressure points to calm pets, like swaddling a baby
- This is a product you can find online and at most pet retailers
- It’s a drug free option
- Leave the TV or radio on
- Most pets are used to the sounds of a TV or Radio so fireworks might not be so alarming as they would be in a silent house
- If it’s a little on the loud side the background noise will help drown out the booming fireworks
- RelaxMyDog it an awesome streaming service with music designed to get your dogs attention.
- Consider essential oils
- Don’t feed your pet essential oils
- Don’t apply essential oils directly on your pet
- Use a diffuser or spray in the room with your pet
- Lavender, Valerian, Ylang Ylang are just a few options that may help calm your dog’s anxiety
- It’s a good idea to watch your pet for a while the first time you use a new product
- If your dog has extreme anxiety talk to your vet about possible medication options
- Do yourself a favor and have this conversation well in advance of the 4th.
- Some people find even something as simple as benadryl can be enough of a sedative
- Be sure to consult your vet for proper dosage before giving your dog any medication
Our dogs may never appreciate the appeal of watching lights explode in the sky, but with a little preparation we can get them through the experience unphased.
Wishing you a Beautiful & Joyous Independence Day!!!
Dog Info - Helpful tips & tricks